Nan khatai is a popular Indian melt in the mouth , most delicious, delicate and crumbly biscuits. White and cream coloured, these Naan Khataai biscuits are beautifully garnished with crushed pistachios , almonds & cashews.
These Khataai’s can be made with different flavor by adding crushed almonds and or gram flour . These can be garnished with an egg wash glaze, or jam dot or cherries .
Today I am bringing these indian cookies to Angie’s Fiesta Friday to share with all .
For Naan Khataai we will be needing :
Unsalted Butter – 1 stick (1/2 cup, 4 oz) at room temperature OR 1/2 cup Ghee ( clarified butter )
Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 cup
Baking Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
1. In a mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar (little at a time) with the softened butter until mixture is light and creamy.
2. Add Nutmeg Powder and Cardamom Powder and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, sift All Purpose Flour with Baking Powder and Salt.
4. Combine Flour mixture (little at a time) with Butter Mixture to form a soft dough.
5. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
6. Knead dough once again and divide into 12 equal portions.
7. Roll each portion into a smooth ball with no cracks and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax/parchment paper or lightly greased foil. Leave ample space between dough balls.
7. Bake on the middle rack for 22-25 minutes (keep a close eye – nan khatai should remain white).
8. Remove from oven and let the nan khatai cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely