Chia seeds are very easy to incorporate into your diet. They are becoming popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
There’s evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure. They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon.
Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don’t need to be ground up.
Dietitians recommend two daily doses of about 20 g each (1.5 ounces total).for adults ..
Here are some great ways to enjoy chia seeds:
1. Soak 1 level tablespoon of chia seeds with a quarter cup of water to make an egg substitute for baking cakes and cookies.
2. Chia seeds add a mild nutty flavor to lentils .
3. Grind seeds and add to hot milk to make a “porridge”
4. chia seeds can be added in soup to thicken and add nutrition.
5. Grind seeds and mix with flour, milk and eggs to make pancakes.
6. Chia seeds can be added to salad dressings.
7. Eat Chia seeds whole and raw as a snack.
8. Make Chia Pudding by adding whole seeds to milk, almond milk or soy milk.
9. Chia seeds can be Blended into smoothies.
10. Make a “lassie” by blending chia seeds, yogurt and fruit juice.
11.chia seeds can be added to beaten eggs, soak for 10 minutes and make an omelette.
12. Add ground chia seeds to flour when making bread.
13. Add whole chia seeds to a cake batter to make a heavy poppy seed like cake.
14. Add some seeds into a stir fry.
15. Chia seeds can be sprinkled over a salad.
16. Stir whole seeds into cooked lentils.
17. Soak seeds in besan and use this mix to make a fritters , bhajiyas .
18. Cook brown rice in vegetable stock and stir chia seeds through when rice is cooked.
19. Top a cheesecake with chia seeds soaked in fruit juice to make a gel toppingl.
20. Add whole or ground seeds to cookie mixes.
21. Mix ground seeds with ground meat to make meatballs , kabobs etc .
22. Cook brown rice in apple juice, add grated apple and stir whole chia seeds through the mixture for a tasty dessert.
23. Sprout the seeds and use in salads.
24. Mix ground seeds with butter or peanut butter for a nutritious spread.
25. Spread a mixture of honey, cinnamon, dried fruit and ground chia on to filo or puff pastry sheets, roll up and cook in a hot oven.
26. Mix the chia seeds, whole or ground with Nutella.
27. Soak chia seeds in milk and mix through hot oatmeal.
28. Add ground or whole chia seeds to your favorite stuffing mixture
29. Whisk 2 teaspoons of chia seeds into coconut water. This is especially good on a hot day for keeping hydrated and an excellent idea for athletes. It’s so effective and healthy I feel it will soon be marketed as a sports drink.
30. Add to sauté vegetables, salad and cut fruits.
31. Add grounded chia seeds into you chapatti dough.
32.Mix it with roasted chana, puffed rice and raisins to make snacks.
33. Chia seeds add a mild nutty flavor to daal and other curry based dishes
34. They can be soaked in fruit juice (in Mexico, they call this “chia fresca”).
35. Mix Chia seeds with your favorite beverage. Try stirring 1 tablespoon of chia seeds into 4 ounces of chilled lemonade. Let it thicken for 10 minutes, then garnish with a mint leaf and enjoy.
36. You can also sprinkle Chia seeds on top of cereal, yogurt, vegetables or rice dishes.
I have come across some Health Benefits of Chia Seeds . They are :
1. Chia Seeds Deliver a Massive Amount of Nutrients With Very Few Calories
2. Chia Seeds Are Loaded With Antioxidants
3. Almost All The Carbs in Them Are Fiber .
4. Chia Seeds Are High in Quality Protein.
5. Due to The High Fiber and Protein Content, Chia Seeds Should be Able to Help You Lose Weight
6. Chia Seeds Are High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
7. Chia Seeds May Improve Certain Blood Markers, Which Should Lower The Risk of Heart Disease and Type 2 Diabetes
8. They Are High in Many Important Bone Nutrients.
9. Chia Seeds Can Cause Major Improvements in Type 2 Diabetics
10. Chia Seeds Can Improve Exercise Performance as Much as a Sports Drink.
11. Chia Seeds Are Easy to Incorporate Into Your Diet as they themselves taste rather bland, so you can add them to pretty much anything.
A common dosage recommendation is 20 grams (about 1.5 tablespoons) of chia seeds, twice per day for adults .