Karachi halwa is an absolutely delicious chewy orange color yummy Indian dessert , loaded with the goodness of almonds, pistachios and other dry fruits.
Corn Flour OR custard powder – 1 cup
Sugar – 2 cups
Water – 3 cups
Ghee / clarified butter 4 tsps
Chopped nuts (Cashew nuts, Almonds and Pistachios) – 2 tbs
A few drops of orange or any other color IF using Corn flour
A little ghee to grease a plate
1.Keep a plate ready by greasing it with ghee.
2. In a thick bottomed pan, mix together custard powder (I used Vanilla flavor), water, sugar and mix well without any lumps.
3. Keep the pan on the stove and begin by cooking over high flame.
4. The mixture will begin to boil and start to thicken. Keep stirring.
5. Add ghee, cashew nuts, mix well and reduce the flame. By now the mixture will look like a thick jelly and look glassy.
6. Keep stirring continuously for 8-10 mins till the mixture begins to form into a lump and begins pulling away from the sides.
7. Transfer the halwa to the greased plate and level the top. You can also sprinkle nuts on top. Make indents while the halwa is still warm
8. Once its cool, slice them and serve.
9. You can store this halwa at room temperature for 2 to 3 days and it keeps well for 7 days when refrigerated.