I love this Kerala-style chicken curry because of all the spices and coconut oil used . The gravy is a little spicy and the freshly grounded spices makes this curry simply exquisite . This aromatic Kerala chicken curry is also known as ‘Nadan curry”.
Serves: 3- 4
ACTIVE : 45 minutes time
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes + time for marination
EQUIPMENT: large non-stick or cast iron skillet
Chicken – 500 grams cut into medium pieces
Chilli powder – 1 tsp Or to taste
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Whole spices for Dry Roasting
Fennel seeds – 3/4 tsp
Green Cardamom – 2 or 3 pods
Cinnamon stick – 5 to 6 (around 2 inches)
Cloves – 6-8
Bay leaf – 1 medium
Dry Red chilli – 2
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Pepper corns – 1tsp or adjust to taste
2 heaped tbs store bought chicken masala
Cooking oil OR Coconut Oil – 3 tsp + 1 tsp divided .
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chillies – 3
Onion – 1 big (chopped finely)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
Curry leaves – 1 spring or around 10-15 leaves
Salt – as per taste
Handful cherry tomatoes ( optional )
A Few slices of dry roasted sliced coconut ( optional )
1. Marinate the chicken with the ingredients mentioned in marination for at least an hour ( overnight for best result )
2. Dry roast the ingredients mentioned in dry roast on medium heat till you get a nice aroma. Around 2-3 mins…Cool and Grind to a coarse powder.
3. In a large non-stick or cast iron skillet add 2 tbs oil. Once hot add the mustard seeds & let them splutter . Now add the dry chilis and fry for a min .
4. Add onions and sauté till they are brown in color . Now Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell goes off.
5. Add marinated chicken and mix well . Add the coarsely ground powder & mix well. OR Store bought chicken masala …
Add 1/2 cup warm water and cook till chicken is half done .
6. When chicken is half cooked (around 10 mins ) Add thick coconut milk and salt to taste .
7.Cook till the curry becomes thick. Stir and add cherry tomatoes and coconut slices if using …cook for additional 5-7 mins .
8. Last but not the least , in a small pan add the 1 tbs coconut oil and once oil is hot add the curry leaves . Fry for a min . Add curry leaves to the chicken curry . THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL but it enhances the flavor of the chicken …
Fresh Curry leaves are easily available in all Indian grocery stores …
Serve Kerala style chicken curry with steamed rice , Roti , naan or any bread of your choice …
Today I am bringing this spicy chicken curry to Angies’s FF #51 to share with fellow blogger friends …