My family’s love affair with Chicken is no secret & they can eat it every day . Malvani chicken or Sagoti is very popular coastal region recipe in Maharashtra & is prepared using lots of coconut .
This Malvani Style Chicken Curry is not that spicy but full of flavors.. I have used dried Kashmiri chilies but you can hot chilies too to make this chicken gravy spicier ..
For Malvani Chicken Curry we will be needing ..
500 grams boned In chicken pieces
1 large Potato cubed ( optional)
2 Medium Onions sliced fine
1/2 cup grated coconut ( I used dried )
1 large chopped tomato
2 tbs oil or as per taste
Salt as per taste
12/ tspTurmeric powder
1 tbs fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
For the Red Paste
4-6 whole Kashmiri chilies (soaked in warm water for 30 mins)
2 tsp spicy red chili powder
1 tbs garam masala powder
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds ( optional )
4-6 garlic cloves
1 tbs chopped ginger
1. Make a smooth paste of all the ingredients under Red paste with little water
2. Add 1 tbs oil In a pan and sauté sliced onions and grated coconut till it turns light brown . Cool and grind into paste with little water.
3. Heat 1 tbs oil in a heavy bottom pan and add chopped tomato , turmeric powder and chicken and sauté for 5-6 mins .
4. Add in the prepared red paste and cook till oil separates, stirring occasionally .
5. Now add the potatoes if using and mix well ..
6. Add salt as per taste and enough water to cover the chicken ..
7. Cover and cook till chicken is done..
8. Now add onion and coconut paste to the chicken curry and boil for 4-5 minutes ..
9. Adjust salt and water for curry .
10. Garnish with fresh Coriander leaves and serve hot with white steamed rice , Chapati , raita and salad on the side …