Delhi as well as other parts of North India is popular for its dhabas and their spicy dishes served along with naan , tandoori rotis and other Indian breads ..
Dhabas are roadside small restaurants located on highways/interstates and usually serve fresh local cuisine..They are mostly situated next to the gas station and are open 24/7.. The food is typically inexpensive and has a ‘homemade’ feel to it.
Today I bring to you one of my all time favorite lip smacking spicy & delicious dhabba style Mutton curry ..
Dhabba Style Mutton Curry …
Here’s the recipe:
Serves : 4
Inactive Cooking time – minimum 1 hour up till 12 hrs depending on marination
Cooking Time 45 mins to an hour
500 grams Mutton pieces preferably with bones …
4 tbsp thick plain yogurt
2 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
2 tbs dhaba style masala ( I used Zaiqa masala )
TO ORDER CLICK HERE
2 whole dried red chilies
1/4 tsp Black Peppercorns
1 inch Cinnamon stick
2 Black Cardamom
Salt as per taste
FOR THE GRAVY
1/4 cup cooking oil ( I used Mustard Oil )
4 medium Onions chopped fine
2 medium Tomatoes ( I pureed them )
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp Red Chili powder
2 tsp Coriander powder
Salt as needed ( remember we added salt to the marinade too )
Warm water as required
1 tsp garam masala
Finely chopped cilantro for garnishing
In a big enough bowl with lid add the washed mutton along with all the ingredients under for Marination .
Marinade for minimum an hour uptil 12 hrs in the refrigerator (best if marinated over night )
Lets cook the mutton Now …
1. Add the oil In a big enough dutch oven . Once hot add chopped onion , ginger and garlic and sauté till light brown in color .
2. Add all the powdered spices except garam masala and cook nd sauté till the oil separates.
3. Now is the time to add marinaded mutton along with all the marination in the bowl .
4. Sautee till all the water evaporates and the mutton dries up and oil separates …
5. Add the pureed tomatoes and mix well making sure all the masala is incorporated with mutton ( I scrape the sides too and mix well with the mutton )
6.Add enough warm water so it covers / immerses the mutton till the top .
7. Cover and cook the mutton on medium low flame till mutton is cooked tender and the gravy thickens …
8. Adjust seasoning and the consistency of the gravy , add garam masala and cook for another10 mins .
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro / coriander & Serve hot along with hot Naan any Indian flat bread of your choice , plain white rice and salad on the side ..