Kerala Style Egg Stew …
If you are planning to make appam at home then the side dish undoubtedly has to be a Coconut milk based Stew.
Kerala Egg Curry in spiced sauce with coconut milk is one of the classic breakfast recipes of Kerala and is usually served with Appam..
Serves 3-4 people
Cook time : 30 mins
Prep time : 15 mins
4-6 Hard boiled eggs
2 boiled Potatos cubes
1 tbs oil ( I used coconut oil )
2 dry red chilies
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 large Onion finely diced around 1 cup
2-4 Green chillies or as per taste (slit lengthwise)
1 Tblsp Ginger (grated or thinly sliced)
1 Tblsp Garlic (grated or thinly sliced)
1 sprig Curry Leaves (5-8 leaves)
1 1/2 cup Coconut Milk ( I used Canned milk )
1 tsp Garam masala
½ tsp Corriander powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Salt as per taste
To prepare Egg stew
1. Heat oil in a pan and sauté mustard seeds till they splutter
2. Add the curry leaves, ginger, garlic, green chillies & onions and sauté until onions are soft ( We don’t need to brown the onions, sauté them until soft and translucent )
3. Add potato, 1/2 cup coconut milk and cook for 5 mins .
4. Turn the heat to low and mix all the spice powders with remaining 1 cup coconut milk and add it to the stew.
5. Add the boiled eggs (slit in half if preferred) to the stew and cook on low heat for 5 mins.
Serve hot with some Appam , chapati , rice or any bread of your choice …