Samosa Galette ..
Galette is a term used in French cuisine to designate various types of flat round or freeform crusty cakes usually filled with a sweet or savory filling..
Samosa galette is less fussy than a traditional samosas and offers crisp crust. The flavors can be kept hot , medium or mild according to your taste and mild it can be a great way to introduce Indian dishes to your family and friends ..
So lets Transform one of the most favorite Indian street food into this Galette which is so much easier than making the traditional, triangle shaped samosas which are deep fried.
Bringing these super easy and delicious galettes to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #108 which is comhosted this week by Suzanne @ apuginthekitchen and Zeba @ Food For The Soul.to share with fellow bloggers ..
1 box Pie Crust OR frozen puff pastry
For the home made crust
For the pastry:
1 1/4 cups (160 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
8 tablespoons (115 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
1/4 cup (60 grams) plain yogurt / curd
2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup (60 ml) ice water
1 tablespoon milk (for brushing the dough right before baking)
Ingredients For the filling
4 medium potatoes
1 tablespoon oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
1/4 cup chopped onion
2-3 finely chopped green chiles or to taste
¼ cup frozen peas, thawed
2 teaspoons ginger, grated
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tbs cilantro leaves, chopped
To Make The dough:
1.Stir the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Sprinkle bits of butter over dough and, using your fingertips, work it into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal, with the biggest pieces of butter the size of tiny green peas.
2. In a small bowl, stir together yogurt , lemon juice and water and add this to the butter-flour mixture.
3. With a wooden spoon, mix in the liquid until large lumps form. Pat the lumps into a ball.
4. Create a disk with the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap then let it rest for an hour or up to 2 days.
Lets Prepare The Filling Now
1. While the dough rests, boil water and cook potatoes until they are fork tender .
2. Once cooled, peel the potatoes and roughly chop them.
3. Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and cook until they start to pop.
4.Add onions to the pan and saute until it starts to brown. Add green chilies and ginger and saute for a minute more.
5. Stir in the cumin, garam masala, turmeric, salt and potatoes, .
6. Cook until heated through. Add the lemon juice and cilantro .
7. Let the fillings cool completely.
To Make The Galette
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Roll the dough to 1/8th inch and transfer into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Gently spread the filling on top of the rolled dough
Fold the pastry edge up and over to create a 2-3 inch border. Gently brush the top with milk.
Bake for 45-50 minutes until slightly brown.
Transfer the pan to a rack and let the galette cool. Serve it warm or at room temperature.
“Cooking is like love: It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.” — Harriet van Horne