Lahasooni Moong Dal With Palak / Garlicky Moong Spinach Lentil
This humble looking priceless recipe from North Indian is one of my favorite comfort food specially during winter months …
Just a handful of common ingredients and This healthy and flavorful dal can be cooked in mins using a pressure cooker and then tempering it with fragrant whole spices …. The best part is that this dal is rich in protein and iron and can be eaten with both roti/parathas and rice.
Cooks in under 30 mins
Recipe By My Mom
1 cup split yellow moong dal
3 cups chopped palak/spinach
1 tsp chopped ginger
3-4 green chillis, slit lengthwise
4 cups water
1 tsp turmeric pwd
1 tsp red chilli pwd
salt as per taste
For Tadka / tempering / seasoning
1 tbs ghee or cooking oil
1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
4-5 cloves garlic roughly chopped optional
2 black cardamom
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
2 inch cinnamon stick
2-3 dry red chillies
1/2 tsp black peppercorn
1. Boil the dal along with salt , turmeric powder . Red chili powder , chopped palak / spinach , green chilis and chopped ginger with 4 cups of water in a big enough pan with a lid .
if using a pressure cooker then give 1 whistle as Moong dal cooks very quickly .
2. Heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin seeds and once they
splutter, add garlic and stir till garlic is light brown in color .
3. Now add all the whole spices and let them splutter ..
4. Add the tempering to cooked dal and mix well .
5. Cook the dal with tempering on medium flame till you get the consistency of your choice.
6. Serve with chapatis and white rice along with a salad on the side .