Kadi is a very popular yogurt based curry in India to which chickpea flour/besan is added, tempered and then simmered with spices ..and is cooked regularly in most houses Each and every region as well as family has their own version of kadhi and kadi happens you be our family favorite too ….
I hold such beautiful childhood memories around this golden beauty .. My Mom would make kadi every Saturday morning for lunch and me and my brother would stand next to her in the kitchen begging her to give us some hot boiling kadi to taste …. The same thing would happen with fritters / pakoras too .. Mom would always make an extra batch of pakodas for us to munch on while lunch was getting ready … So many childhood memories around this beauty … In our family as well as some parts of North India, it is a must as one of the meals in the days preceding a wedding…
You can even add vegetables to the kadhi while it is cooking. I like to add chopped spinach (palk) or fenugreek (methi) leaves. diced potatoes, carrots or any other vegetable of choice and also be added to the kadi …
Cooks in 30-45 mins
For the kadi
Sour curd / yogurt 3 cup
Besan / gram flour 3 tbs
Water 3 cups
2 tabs ghee or oil
1/2 tsp hing/ Asafoetida
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp methi dana / fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
2 green chilies finely chopped
4-6 curry leaves optional
Salt as per taste
1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves, finely chopped for garnishing
1. In a blender blend together yogurt , water and 3 tbs gram flour , red chili powder and turmeric powder till incorporated well and ensuring that there are no lumps (you can even do it with a whisk )
2. In a big enough pan , Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium flame. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. When they begin to crackle add cumin seeds and sauté for 20-30 seconds.
3. Now add curry leaves and green chilies and saute for 20-30 seconds .
4. Its time to add in the blended mix of yogurt and gram flour .
5. Cook on medium flame until raw smell of gram flour goes away or for approx. 10 -15 minutes. Stir occasionally in between to prevent sticking. If mixture becomes too thick, then add 1/2 cup more water and cook for 3-4 minutes. It should have pouring consistency..
6. Add deep fried pakoras, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn off the flame , temper and garnish with chopped coriander leaves ..
Ingredients for Besan Pakoda
1 cup besan / gram flour
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chili powder –
Salt as per taste.
2-3 Green chilis chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro / Coriander leaves
Oil for deep frying
1. Heat oil on medium heat for frying the pakodas
2. Sieve the gram flour in a bowl and make a thick batter by adding water to it.
3. Now add add all the other ingredients except oil to the batter .
4. Take a teaspoon batter and drop it into the medium hot oil .
Make 5-6 pakodas at one time.
5.Turn and flip the pakodas to fry them till they are golden brown in color .
6. Take them out and add them in boiling kadhi ..
For Tempering or Tadka:
1 tbs. ghee / clarified butter
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
A few curry leaves 4-5
A pinch of asafoetida or hing powder
2 dry red chillies broken up
Heat ghee in a small butter pan .
Add mustard as well as cumin seeds .. Once the seeds splutter add dried chilies and curry leaves.
Pour this tempering over the kadi and cover with the lid immediately so that the flavor infuses …
This yummy kadhi goes very well with Chapatis and steamed white rice…
1. Usually pakodas/ fritters are not added when making kadi with greens and vegetables ..
2. Kadi can even be prepared in slow cooker too
Place yogurt and sifted besan in a bowl, along with salt, chilli, turmeric and water. Beat together to make a smooth batter. Transfer to a slow cooker and switch on ‘high’.
Heat oil in a ladle, add mustard seeds , cumin seeds , fenugreek seeds, asafoetida powder and curry leaves. As soon as fenugreek seeds begin to turn brown, pour over the yoghurt-besan mix. Let the kadhi cook for a few hours until it is custard like consistency. Add pakoras And tempering , turn the cooker down to low until ready to serve.
Click on the picture below for Another version of Kadi By Sonal
Methi Pyaaz ki Kadhi By Sonal